How to Add More Fats to a Keto Diet
The ketogenic diet AKA the keto diet has been the talk of the town. A keto diet is a low carb, high fat diet with moderate protein. Most people adhering to a keto lifestyle are often looking for creative ways to add more fats to their diet. Since going keto, I had been low carb Paleo for years, the challenge was getting in more healthy fats in the diet without increasing my protein intake.
Therefore, this inspired the researcher in me and I found several simple and delicious ways in which to add more fats to my diet.
Here are some creative hacks for adding more healthy fats to your diet.
1. Chia seeds - chia seed pudding, add chia seeds to your salad, add them to your smoothies
2. Flax seeds - mix them in your smoothies
3. Avocado - add them to your salads, make avocado chocolate pudding, add them to your burgers, add them to your breakfast smoothie, add sea salt and turmeric for a healthy snack
4. MCT oil - add 1 tbsp. to you coffee, tea, salad, cooked veggies, smoothies, fish
5. Fish - eat more wild caught fish and sardines
6. Bison - a great source of protein high in fat, swap it out for a beef burger
7. Coconut cream - swap out dairy and use coconut cream for dessert, add to make a creamy vegetable soup
8. Sauces - make your favorite sauces to top off your meals
9. Mayonnaise - add a tablespoon of mayo to your fish, burger, or meatloaf (I love Primal Kitchen Chiptole Mayonnaise)
10. Hollandaise sauce - add this yummy sauce to your fish
11. Ranch dressing - add to your salad or dip for your veggies, make your own or try Primal Kitchen's Ranch Dressing
12. Ghee or butter - to your cooked meal
13. Fat bombs - make a fat bomb (coconut oil, coconut butter, shredded coconut flakes, cacao powder)
14. Olives - add olives to your meals
15. Nuts - add nuts to your salads, puddings, or handful for a snack
16. Full Fat Grass-fed Dairy - a small percentage don't seem to have an issue with dairy (I do) but I thought I would add it to the list
17. Coconut yogurt - plain coconut yogurt topped with some cacao nibs YUM
18. Bone Broth - make your soups using bone broth as the base